Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Trust

 Recently I drove with my family over three mountain passes in our beautiful state of Colorado. Some of these mountain passes have relatively treacherous roads. We have driven on them for many, many years. On the way to my parents' home where they have lived for the past 28 years, I was pondering the amazing Colorado roads.


I have had several friends over the years who are quite frightened of Colorado roads. One mountain pass in particular is frankly scary for a lowlander from Wisconsin or Virginia. One of my friends would not let her husband drive it ever, because she knew that Colorado has some roads with slim shoulders. There are NO gaurd-rails. "Why is it like that in Colorado?!" Honestly, there isn't room in numerous places.

I love this mountainous way, but I have been in these mountains for more than half my life. I know the road very, very well. I travelled this road 20 times in my freshman year of college alone. I have driven it alone, in snow, rain, ice, and the dark. I do not find the road scary too much anymore, because I know it well, and I trust the driver, my husband implicitly.
Driving on a steep mountain pass requires trust, you see. It calls for you to know that the driver will make good decisions, he knows the way, and he plans to get you to the destination safely, even if you may doubt a little. God reminded me that it is similar to how He is in my life. He has good in store for me. He plans for me to get to my destination (of heaven) safely. He can be trusted. He has the best in store for me, for you. He knows the way, and will get us through.
Along the way, we may be frightened at times, even scared. We may or may not be confident in God and His ability. He does have good in store for us as we travel this life's road. Romans 8:28 says
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." 

It also reminds me of several songs, about how we are "Not Home Yet." One of my favorites includes these lines by Steven Curtis Chapman: 

To all the travelers/ Pilgrims longing for a home/From one who walks with you/ On this journey called life's road/It is a long and winding road

From one who's seen the view/And dreamt of staying on the mountain high/ And one who's cried like you/
Wanting so much just to lay down and die/ I offer this, we must remenber this

We are not Home yet/ We are not Home yet/ Keep on looking ahead/ Let your heart not forget/ We are not home yet/ Not home yet


More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/s/steven_curtis_chapman/

Here is another song and post which relates the driving/ trust topic.


I also enjoy this verse, which relates not only discussing mountains, but also in His love for you. 
Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the Lord, who has compassion on you. Isaiah 54:10

You can trust Him. Have you done so today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...