Thursday, April 25, 2013

American Girl class: Julie Week 6

We had another great American Girl class this week! First I handed out the tie-dyed shirts from last class. (*Be sure to wash the shirts ALONE the first few times so you won't dye any other clothes!) We reviewed book five in the Julie series, Changes for Julie, we discussed having a deaf friend and running for Student Office President.


For our Craft, we made “Campaign” Buttons. I gave each of the girls a 3" x 4" piece of white card stock. I had four cardstock circles which I had for tracing. After they traced them, they cut out their circle and decorated it with markers. Then I took their decorated circle and laminated it with my laminator from home. After each piece was laminated, the girls cut out their piece and put a sticker pin-back on it. Voila! A button!

I had debated covering the buttons with mod-podge, but thought it would take too long to dry as well as being messy. I also thought of covering them with clear packing tape, but thought that would bubble. So laminating worked well! The sticky back on the pins was nice too-- no glue or hot glue needed!

We also discussed Sign Language, practiced some that I knew (letters, numbers, basic words, etc.,)  I gave each girl a printed copy of the sing language alphabet that I found here.
 Our snack this week was Nachos and Hawaiian punch.

So that is the end of our American Girl cycle! We have gone through all of the main American Girls, (from Kaya-Julie) and we will restart the cycle beginning with Kaya again in the fall. I am going to be reading the Caroline books and the Marie-Grace & Cecile books to see if I want to include them in my next cycle.

I had THREE girls that had finished the whole five semester cycle with me! I will really miss each of these sweeties next year. I have really enjoyed watching them grow into young ladies. I made certificates on my computer in my word processing program, and printed one for each of these three girls. Here they are with their certificates of completion:
 and me (in my tie-dyed shirt that I made last week!) with them:

The 2:00 class:
 This was the COOL crock pot that the snack mom brought in, which had the nacho cheese in it! We all loved that...
 These four cuties each had their new shirts on! (above)
 Hawaiian punch... such a blast from the past!

Two of the girls (photo above) and their mom, one of my super amazing helpers which I am going to miss, made this for me! So sweet! I took this banner home and hung it on the wall above our desk in the school room.

Since it was the day before my birthday (and my mom helper knew it), the girls had all signed a card and sang happy birthday to me! I got all teary-eyed at their sweetness. I felt SO blessed! 

I have loved getting to know all of my girls and their families in my classes! I will miss them LOTS over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...